The Rafah crossing between Egypt and the Gaza Strip was opened for four days starting yesterday.
This comes after Egyptian President Abdel Fatah Al-Sisi gave orders on Sunday to open the border, according to Egyptian state-run media.
Palestinians were able to travel in both directions using the crossing.
Some 20,000 Palestinians inside the Gaza Strip are said to be on waiting lists managed by the Ministry of Interior.
Egyptian security sources told Ma’an that Egypt is considering opening the crossing twice a month regularly. Egyptian authorities were also considering the creation of a duty-free zone at the Rafah crossing, the sources added.
The crossing was opened Saturday to allow for the entry of more than 100 Palestinian businessmen and dignitaries into the Gaza Strip after they partook in a conference in Egypt’s Ein Sokhna resort.
Last month, 5,000 Palestinians left Gaza through Egypt during the seven days the crossing was open.
Egypt has upheld an Israeli military blockade on the Gaza Strip for the majority of the past three years, since the ousting of former President Mohamed Morsi in 2013 and the rise to power of Al-Sisi.